we don't talk about it.

Dear you,

I have this habit of deconstructing words
to make them into less than what they are.

Take a word
and cut it,
       t-e-a-r it,
       b|r|e|a|k it apart
and suddenly all it is a mass of letters that symbolize a thing.

Does a word hurt?
It can't hurt if it suddenly doesn't mean what it's meant to.

deconstruct
d e c o n s t r u c t
d  e  c  o  n  s  t  r  u  c  t

It doesn't mean anything,
it's just letters,
it's just a series of symbols
that unless you pin a meaning onto them,
don't have any value.

I do this with nearly every word that is ever said to me.


I did this with your love.

You said it to me so many times,
I love you
                 I love you
                                  I love you
I couldn't help but take it apart.

deconstruct
d e c o n s t r u c t
d  e  c  o  n  s  t  r  u  c  t

Suddenly
'I love you'
lost all meaning and was nothing
but a series of letters arranged a certain way
that in my brain,
didn't make up the feeling in your gut and in your chest.

I took apart all of your words
and turned them edisni tuo,
                         uʍop ǝpısdn,
                         ƚʜiƨ wɒy
                         ƚɒʜƚ bnɒ,
examining them to see what else they could make.

Eventually you stopped saying words at all.
And you can't
d e c o n s t r u c t
[silence].

Sincerely,
xx
Blue

3 comments:

  1. Eventually you stopped saying words at all.
    And you can't
    d e c o n s t r u c t
    [silence].

    oh my stop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently walking the strip in Vegas and sat down to read this post. Worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOOO GOOOOD. That ending. WOWWWWW.

    ReplyDelete

 

me

My photo
I'm named after a flower. I have perpetual bedhead. I'm proficient in sophisticated malarkey. I have problems sleeping and swearing. I love plants and books. I want to go to Iceland.

this is important

"I'm still here because this is the rest of my life."
-S.H.

"I'm trying to be poetic because I'm trying to tell you the truth."