religious functions and i don't get along.

Dear you,

It's 3:45 AM and this hotel bed has no memories to sing me to sleep
and these walls don't know my name
and these sheets don't understand what true love means

but it's not like that makes much of a difference in the first place
because my sheets only know the tears of anxiety
and the only definition of love they know comes from the moon
who is the closest I've ever come to a lover

I've told all my secrets to the moon and the trees
whose embraces I know almost as well as I know the way to talk to flowers
who I've been speaking to since my first funeral
and I've been loving the moon since I learned what 1 AM was like which wasn't too long after


it's 3:53 AM and I wish I'd never been told I prayed wrong
maybe then I'd still be as comfortable with talking to God as I am with talking to flowers
and then maybe I would have Jesus on my walls instead of twelve plants on my shelves
and maybe I'd understand what crying at a funeral is like
of the nine I've attended and the seven I've missed I still don't know what it means to hate death

maybe I've just never understood how to hate death who only knows how to embrace when life only knows how to fuck everyone around her

it's 4:01 AM and none of my thoughts are making any sense
all I know is I love the moon and this hotel room is too full of lingering antiseptic to sleep in
and I just wish I had some flowers to talk to about death because maybe they'd understand

Sincerely,
xx
Heather

2 comments:

  1. love this like i love everything you write

    ReplyDelete
  2. The line about life fucking and death embracing...

    Gahh. And I love how you signed it Heather.

    ReplyDelete

 

me

My photo
I'm named after a flower. I have perpetual bedhead. I'm proficient in sophisticated malarkey. I have problems sleeping and swearing. I love plants and books. I want to go to Iceland.

this is important

"I'm still here because this is the rest of my life."
-S.H.

"I'm trying to be poetic because I'm trying to tell you the truth."