x's aren't always a symbol for a kiss.

Dear you,

Before he forgets me and replaces my name with yours,

please

  first notice his half smiles because he'll probably only share them with you
    and ask him how his day was before he asks you about your day
    because once you start talking he might not want you to stop
    and remember that he's not always having a good time of things
    but he always tries to make you smile anyway
    and don't talk about girls from his past

especially me

                don't talk about me

  (he might never really get over me
     I was awful
 not necessarily in what I did
                                                                though what I did was kind of horrible  
          but more so with what I didn't say)

please

  don't badmouth me too much even though
  I know it'll be tempting
      his heart won't like it
  and there are funnier girls to tell stories about

                                    stories about me are mostly filled with heartbreak

pay attention to his heartbreak
   because I never really did

                        ask about his brother sooner
                            I know it'll be difficult for him
                        and he might even get angry
                        but don't act like you don't deserve to know

before you replace my smile with yours in his head
 and before you kiss that mouth I never had the courage to
 and before his hands find your hips in his sheets


please

       do better than I did
       and remember to say,
       "I love you" back when he tells you so

please

                   because I forgot
                   to say those words
                   only after
                   it was too late
                   to say them.

Sincerely,
xx
Blue

3 comments:

  1. Heart broken. I know exactly what you're feeling and I only wish this had been written sooner. I wish I had been able to put this feeling into such beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so devastating to read, and that's why I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing was beautiful, but just as beautiful was how you spaced it and phrased it on the page-- it gave it a feeling that wouldn't be captured otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

 

me

My photo
I'm named after a flower. I have perpetual bedhead. I'm proficient in sophisticated malarkey. I have problems sleeping and swearing. I love plants and books. I want to go to Iceland.

this is important

"I'm still here because this is the rest of my life."
-S.H.

"I'm trying to be poetic because I'm trying to tell you the truth."